Marmoleum is made from the following ingredients
The main ingredient in Marmoleum is flax seed oil, produced by pressing the seeds of the flax plant. The flax plant is an easy-to-cultivate species delivering annual crops of flax seed as well as fibers for the textile industry.
Properties of Flax:
• Taking up CO2
• Almost no waste in the production chain
• Flax seed oil: a rapidly renewable raw material
Wood flour is obtained from the as a waste product of the timber industry. The wood of roots and branches is finely ground and used in linoleum. No tropical hardwoods are ever used.
Properties of Wood Flour:
• Trees take up CO2 during their growth
• Recycled, renewable raw material
Pine rosins are mixed with the vegetable oil pressed from the flax seed, to produce a flexible binder. The pine trees from which the rosins are extracted come from controlled forestry locations throughout the world.
Properties of Rosins:
• Gum Rosin are distillation residues of natural resins extracted from some species of pine trees, notably Scotch Pine.
• The trees are typically ready for tapping, after 7 years, making them a rapidly renewable material
The reverse side of Marmoleum is made from woven jute. Jute (also known as hessian or burlap) is a natural and important eco-friendly vegetable fibre. It is produced from the stalks of the jute plant. Jute is plentiful and highly renewable.
Properties of Jute:
• No waste-crop, taking up CO2 during growth
• A rapidly renewable raw material
Limestone is one of the world’s most abundant resources. After sand, it is the most available natural material in the world.
Properties of Limestone
• Unlimited resource
• An abundant raw material
When it comes to our beautiful colors, only ecologically friendly pigments are used.
Properties of the Pigments
• Raw materials Titanium white - iron oxide based - durable
• Other pigments - organic
Making Marmoleum flooring is an art, which you can not learn at any trade - or craft school. In fact, only a handful of people know how to make Marmoleum. Find out how we make our Marmoleum.go to how it's made