Flooring for Education Facilities
We pride ourselves on offering a truly comprehensive product portfolio with leading edge products specifically designed to cater for each area of an education project.
Making Spaces into Learning Places.
Forbo Flooring Systems has been manufacturing and supplying floor coverings for education for more than a century. Our extensive range of floor coverings is used across a wide portfolio of educational establishments around the globe.
Whether it's a nursery or a university, educational environments demand attractive, low maintenance, hardwearing, safe and sustainable flooring solutions. Durability and hygiene are especially vital in areas used by children and young adults.
From entrance to exit, our integrated flooring portfolio for new builds or refurbishments can help you select the ideal flooring solutions for your project.
First impression of a building
Do pupils or students slow down or stop to wipe their feet when they walk into school or college? Chances are that they don’t, which is why it’s important to keep the world outside, outside. By keeping out dirt and moisture at the entrance, cleaning costs can be cut by up to 65%, interior floors protected and the potential for slipping greatly reduced. With our Nuway and Coral ranges, Forbo offers both rigid and textile entrance matting solutions.
Reception areas act as the place where a school, university or college can create a good first impression on students and visitors alike. Whether your priority is sustainability, bespoke design or durability, Forbo Flooring Systems has a product to suit your needs.
Durable and safe flooring
Corridors are busy, noisy places and demand durable and safe flooring. We have a range of products that can offer sustainability, sound reduction and quick installation whilst also having superb durability and slip resistance. This ensures your corridors not only look great, but are safe and practical.
Comfortable, safe and inspiring
The perfect classroom is an environment where students can feel comfortable, safe and inspired. Color, light, acoustics, it all affects the learning process and the level of attention of students in the classroom. Forbo can offer a range of solutions which fulfill all of these requirements.
Slip resistance and durable
In environments where pupils are asked to be creative, safety becomes the main concern. With the correct Forbo floor covering, you can ensure the safety of staff and pupils alike with slip resistance and durability guaranteed.
When working with chemicals or other specialist materials, incorrect floor coverings can be problematic for pupil’s in both a learning and safety aspect. Forbo’s floor coverings offer can accommodate laboratories and specialist teaching areas of a school to ensure durability (in case of chemical spillages) and slip resistance (contaminated or wet floors).
Static Dissipative & Electro Conductive
Not only do specialist areas need a floor covering that is easy to clean for reduced slip risk, but they must also provide static dissipative and electro conductive properties.
Dining areas are used and abused daily. Walkways and designated areas can be created using colour and/or a mixture of product types. Forbo understands that the products used in dining areas should have:
● Good slip resistance to avoid slips and trips
● Durability to cope with the hundreds of pupils, staff and visitors
● Excellent acoustic properties to reduce and contain the noise where possible
● Flooring that cleans up as good as new and is hygienic
In changing facilities, safety is the main concern. In environments like these a floor with excellent non slip properties is crucial to minimize the risk of accidents. Durability and ease of cleaning are also main concerns in changing facilities. Forbo understand your needs, therefore we created our Step Safety Flooring collection. Our Step safety flooring offers lifetime slip resistant performance and provides safety solutions for a wide range of applications.
Acoustic & Comfort
This is an area in the school which will accommodate administration staff and senior management. It needs to be near the entrance so the flooring may need to reflect that found in the reception area for an integrated appearance.
Office and meeting rooms should provide a comfortable yet inspiring place in which staff, visitors and students can express themselves and share thoughts and ideas with each other. Therefore, comfort and aesthetic capabilities are important to consider when creating an office/meeting room environment.
keep noise pollution to a minimum
Acoustic properties and flooring design are vital for lecture theaters and libraries where pupils’ attention and concentration are key. Forbo can offer the solution to keep noise pollution to a minimum and offer muted design tones that can aid pupils’ learning during study periods.
design and functionality
Using linoleum for other purposes than flooring might not be the first thing you think of. However, we apply special pinboard linoleum to the wall and furniture linoleum to desktops and tables.
Furniture and walls are vital areas of a school which require stimulating design and durability. Forbo’s ‘off the floor’ products can provide the perfect solution, from expressing pupils’ outstanding work and achievements on Bulletin Board pinboard linoleum or creating a warm and welcoming classroom interior with Furniture Linoleum desktop linoleum.
Suitable flooring products for education buildings
- As the market leader in engineered entrance flooring systems, Nuway entrance systems are an outstanding first line of defence against moisture and soil entering a building on the shoe soles and wheeled traffic treads.
- Wide range of made-to-order rigid single and double sided mats
- Helps keep interior floor coverings dryer and cleaner and also prevents slips
- By keeping out dirt and moisture, cleaning costs can be cut by up to 65%
- Perfect for high footfall areas like school and university entrances
Go to the Nuway collection
- Coral has been the market-leading, textile entrance flooring brand for 50 years
- Offers more choice than ever with attractive, sustainable clean-off systems
- Available in styles & constructions to suit all applications, budgets and aesthetic needs
- Coral entrance floors can extend the life of your floor and greatly reduce cleaning costs and slip risk
Go to the Coral collection
- The weighted average of our Marmoleum product range is CO₂ neutral (cradle to gate) without the need for carbon offsetting.
- Holds the Allergy UK Seal of Approval
- Manufactured from 97% natural raw materials (including linseed oil, rosin, wood flour, jute and limestone)
- Available in over 300 colours
- Marmoleum’s unique Topshield finish reduces soiling & is resistant from hand disinfectants.
Go to the Marmoleum collection
- Excellent all-round performance, ideal for classrooms where noise pollution can be a problem
- Impact sound reduction from 15dB to 19dB
- Needs minimal cleaning and maintenance
- Available in an extensive range of colours and designs
Go to Sarlon collection
- A general purpose heterogeneous vinyl flooring perfect for dining room/
cafeteria where a hard wearing solution is essential
- Hard-wearing and able to withstand heavy footfall
- Comes in realistic wood effects, stone and abstract designs, with a broad palette of colours and digitally printed visuals designed to inspire
Go to the Eternal collection
- This collection delivers a complete range of products designed to meet the safety demands of areas with potentially frequent spills or floor debris, such as a food/design technology classroom or art classroom
- Guaranteed slip resistant performance throughout the product lifetime
- Meets all HSE and European safety norms, delivering safety with minimal compromise
- Available in bright colours and muted tones
- Digital print options available
Go to the Step collection
- Perfect classroom and lecture theatre solution where foot traffic and movement of chairs calls for a durable floor covering
- The warmth and comfort of a carpet with increased durability due to the flocked design
- Allergy UK Seal of Approval™
- Available in a wide variety of colours and stimulating designs
- Comes in sheet, tile or plank format.
Go to the Flotex collection
- Available in four different constructions, the high quality Tessera carpet tiles are designed to retain their good looks in high traffic areas like receptions and entrances
- A wide variety of stimulating designs and sympathetic colours to deliver inspiring learning interiors
- Impact sound properties up to 30 dB
- Ranges to suit all budgets, from entry level to premium.
Go to the Tessera collection
- Proven wear layer means less cleaning and maintenance
- Superior dimensional stability delivers easy fitting and improved durability
- In-register embossing supplements the natural look of wood designs with a matt finish for increased realism
- Easily combined with Tessera carpet tiles using the same adhesive - no need for transition strips, additional profiles or inconvenient subfloor build-up
- BREEAM A+ rating in Education
- Ideal for drinks points or areas with wheeled traffic
Go to the Allura collection
- Sphera's SMART-top surface finish ensures high resistance to chemicals, stains and scratches, making Sphera a perfect solution for increased contamination classrooms
- In-line coating with subsequent embossing process for superior appearance and durability
- Highest abrasion wear rating group T tested to EN660-2
Go to the Sphera collection
Colorex - Static Control Flooring
- The Colorex technology delivers a permanently conductive product, guaranteeing optimal performance throughout the product lifetime. Colorex fully complies with all ESD standards
- The Colorex surface can be fully repaired, extending the useful life of the product
- Dense construction of Colorex provides excellent heavy load resistance, making it an ideal solution for university laboratories
Sphera SD | EC
- Permanent conductive properties comply with all ESD standards.
- Sphera SD | EC retains its optimal performance throughout the life of the product
- Low emissions with phthalate free manufacturing ensures Sphera SD | EC contributes to a healthy indoor environment
- Unique SMART control surface treatment makes Sphera SD | EC stain and scratch resistant, delivering a durable and hygienic solution
Go to the ESD & Cleanroom flooring collection
- A practical, simple solution for displaying pupil work, regular school updates and extra curriculum info
- Tactile, colourful - available in 15 vibrant and muted colours
- All natural material, self-healing properties
Go to the Bulletin Board collection
- The finishing touch for all furniture, including desks, stools, doors, cabinets and displays. Perfect for elegant, durable school desks and chairs/stools
- Satin matt surface with a warm, fine texture delivers a distinctive, truly individual look and feel
- Available in 21 colours
Go to the Furniture Linoleum collection
A truly CO₂ neutral floor covering
Forbo’s Marmoleum is created from an average of 97% natural raw materials.
No surprise then that it's the world’s leading sustainable resilient flooring.
The weighted average of Forbo's Marmoleum product range is also CO₂ neutral (cradle to gate) without offsetting.
With the UK Government having recently set a target for schools to have net zero carbon emissions by 2050, the application of Marmoleum in the education sector has never been more relevant.
Find out more about Marmoleum
Keeping the world outside, outside
From abandoned fishing nets to old carpet fluff, many of our Coral collections are made from ECONYL® – a high quality yarn created from 100% regenerated polyamide.
The primary backing of Coral Welcome is created from recycled plastic PET bottles.
We make Coral flooring in a factory that runs entirely on green electricity, sending virtually zero waste to landfill. 100% of our aluminium, steel and rubber waste from our Nuway production is recycled.
And for customers looking for a ‘natural’ entrance system, we offer Nuway Tuftiguard with Bamboo scraper bars. Bamboo is a sustainable grass species that is one of the fastest growing plants on earth.
Find out more about our EFS products
Industry leading recycled content
All our UK-produced tufted carpet tiles include at least 57% recycled content (by weight), with some products containing an impressive 76%.
We’re also reducing the quantity of virgin materials we use. For instance, instead of discarding yarn ends, we rewind them and tuft them into our Tessera tiles. We even offer several ranges made with up to 100% ECONYL® regenerated yarn.
Discover the Tessera range
Making vinyl better
We're constantly improving the environmental profile of Forbo's vinyl products with local and international initiatives.
Our Step range is 100% phthalate free and includes at least 70% recycled content in the backing.
We produce all our vinyl in Europe where it meets highest possible current and future REACH compliance standards for chemical content.
100% of the electricity we buy comes from renewable sources. Our vinyl production sites are part of an effective environmental management system which achieves ISO14001 certification.
Discover the full Step range
From nurseries to universities, all educational establishments need attractive, safe, hardwearing, sustainable and low maintenance flooring solutions. Hygiene and durability are particularly important in areas used by children or young adults.
Exposure to some types of phthalates has been linked to the rise in attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD). Made from natural, renewable materials, Marmoleum contains no PVC or Phthalates, delivering a safe, low emitting floor. Marmoleum is also approved by Allergy UK as it doesn't harbour dust mites.
The weighted average of the Forbo Marmoleum product range is CO₂ neutral (cradle to gate) - without offsetting. This means it contributes to the Government’s target of achieving net-zero by 2050. Marmoleum can also help with schemes such as SKA, LEED, BREEAM and the WELL building standard.
Marmoleum is our most sustainable flooring solution, offering a wealth of colour options, scuff and scratch resistance, and has the potential to repair damaged surfaces.
✔ Natural raw materials
✔ Phthalate free, PVC free
✔ Allergy UK approved
✔ Low emission
✔ Acoustic options
✔ CO₂ neutral (from cradle to gate - without offset)
Marmoleum flooring is made primarily from renewable natural resources. The top layer is linoleum, an ecologically produced, bio-based material made from 97% natural raw materials.
The craft of linoleum manufacture has evolved over 150 years, with Forbo driving this development through our Marmoleum brand. Making Marmoleum is an art that can't be learned at any trade or craft school. Truth be told, only a handful of people know how to make Marmoleum.
Read more about natural raw materials
A natural winner! Forbo's Marmoleum floor coverings are natural floors delivering sustainability, durability, high quality and innovative design. Discover the natural beauty of Marmoleum with over 300 colours and designs, from marbled to linear and concrete. Available in sheet, planks and tiles.
Discover our Marmoleum Collections
Improve the world from the floor up. The weighted average of Forbo's Marmoleum range is CO₂ neutral (cradle to gate) - without offsetting.
Marmoleum blends ecological values with contemporary design, making an invaluable contribution to a sustainable world.
Discover why Marmoleum is CO₂ neutral (cradle to gate)
Forbo's Marmoleum is made to last. Our installation and floorcare section will help you with your upcoming Marmoleum installations. These pages have comprehensive cleaning, maintenance and installation advice as well as a series of YouTube video guides.
More information about installation & Floor care
Marmoleum offers more than 300 colours across a variety of designs and formats. This blend of colours and designs gives you the versatility to combine with other Forbo products.
View our latest Marmoleum projects, or visualise your ideas with our interactive floor planner.
Marmoleum Design & Inspiration
In line with the Forbo sustainability strategy, we employ various transparent certification systems from third parties (worldwide) to regularly check and evaluate our floor coverings .
It's Forbo's ambition to make a positive contribution to your health and wellbeing through our flooring solutions and Marmoleum's multiple characteristics contribute to a healthy indoor environment.
Read about how Marmoleum contributes to healthy interiors
Read more about circular Marmoleum
Getting The Look and creating successful integrated education projects has never been easier. Just click the link below to learn more about the interiors, the products used and how they work with each other perfectly. Then fill in our simple ONLINE SAMPLE FORM to order a sample pack of all the products used to get you started.
Order your sample packs here
Forbo has been awarded a place on the Crown Commercial Services framework agreement for floor coverings, meaning you can be confident that we can also save you time and money.
Go to the CCS Framework website
We are very proud that Forbo has been appointed as a supplier on the Northern Eastern Universities Consortium (NEUPC) Framework.
Go to the NEUPC website
Forbo has been appointed a floorcovering supplier on the Advanced Procurement for Universities and Colleges framework, which looks to explore collaborative opportunities in the Scottish university and college sector.
Go to the APUC website
To help you create your floor and make up your mind on the best fit, we offer several tools and services. Our floorplanner will help you place our floors in an educational environment, and even combine floorings, letting you see how it all looks.
Start playing with our floorplanner
Our design service goes even further; we can help you design your own floor. Our team of designers is waiting for you. Simply get in touch and let us know your requirements - send them your pictures of the current situation or your desired solution and they'll come up with floor plans and product proposals.
Contact our design team
Many worldwide educational establishments use Forbo floor coverings - from nurseries and primary schools through to universities. See our reference section and be inspired by a range of worldwide projects.
Explore our education references