Due to the developments and advancements made over the last decades with the combination of Marmoleum® TopShield™ (Forbo’s factory finish for Marmoleum®) and improvements in Forbo’s water-based adhesives in respect to both topical water exposures and concrete moisture vapor emissions, heat welding Marmoleum is no longer necessary when used installed with Forbo adhesives.
As an alternative to heat welding Marmoleum® we would recommend doing a net fit seam. When Marmoleum® is installed following the recommended installation guidelines with the recommended Forbo adhesive, the result will be a highly water resistant hygienic seam, which does not require heat welding. This can aid in reducing the cost and time required for installation while improving aesthetics. Net fit is a seam with no gaps or fullness.
Net Fit Seam
Come see us in Dallas at Healthcare Design Conference Booth #1343 to see the close fit of net fit seams in person and ask any questions you may have.
Benefits of eliminating heat welding are:
• 3rd party research shows that net fit seams are as hygienic in hospital settings as heat welded sheet vinyl.
• Reduced overall installed cost
• Improved aesthetics with no weld lines to disrupt the visual and accent the seams
• Improved environmental performance with substantial reduction in CO2 footprint by eliminating the use of a high wattage heat gun for installation of weld rods.
• Improved Indoor Environmental Quality for installers/building occupants by elimination of emissions of melting PVC based welding rods during installation