The craft of manufacturing linoleum has evolved over the last 150 years. Forbo has been driving this development through its Marmoleum brand. Making Marmoleum flooring is an art, which is not learned at any trade - or craft school. In fact, only a handful of people know how to make Marmoleum.
Determining the correct mixture of ingredients, allowing the right time for raw materials to settle, applying the correct temperature & pressure are skills a Marmoleum Experts must master. We are proud of our experts, as they take pride in creating our Marmoleum floors.
Watch the video to find out how we make our Marmoleum
Fact: Marmoleum flooring is naturally bacteriostatic; it offers lasting bacteriostatic properties without antimicrobial additives. Just like resin that protects a tree from bacteria.
Marmoleum is made from the following ingredients
The main ingredient in Marmoleum is linseed oil, produced by pressing the seeds of the flax plant. The flax plant is an easy-to-cultivate species delivering annual crops of linseed as well as fibres for the textile industry.
Properties of Flax:
• Taking up CO2
• Almost no waste in the production chain
• Linseed oil: virgin rapid renewable raw material (19%)
Wood flour is obtained from the remainders of the timber industry. The wood of roots and branches is finely grinded and used in linoleum. No tropical hardwoods are ever used.
Properties of Wood Flour:
• Trees take up CO2 during their growth
• Recycled renewable raw material (22%)
Pine rosins are mixed with the vegetable oil pressed from the linseed to produce a flexible binder. The pine trees from which the rosins are extracted come from controlled forestry locations throughout the world.
Properties of Rosins:
• Originating from trees that take up CO2
• A virgin rapid renewable raw material (2%)
The backing for Marmoleum is made from spun yarn of strong jute fibre. Jute is plentiful and highly renewable.
Properties of Jute:
• No waste-crop, taking up CO2 during growth
• Rapid renewable virgin raw material (8%)
Properties of Limestone
• Unlimited resource
• Abundant virgin raw material (24%)
When it comes to our beautiful colours, only ecologically friendly pigments are used.
Properties of the Pigments
• Virgin raw materials Titanium white (~2%) - iron oxide based - durable
• Other pigments (~1%) - organic
Forbo Green Marmoleum factories